Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Evolution of a blog header

I recently completed a new blog design for Solanah at Vixen Vintage (more on that later!) When I was cleaning up my folder afterwards, I realized I had created 13 different images before finally landing on the header used in the final design. I thought it would be fun to share that process here, and a few more of my blog headers from the last year or so!

The design for The Soubrette Brunette started out as a pencil sketch and, remarkably, ended up almost exactly the same once it was finished. Just a few tweaks here and there, like adding the tulle skirt and switching up the way I drew the nose. And adding color, of course. I love fiddling with a design and adding a touch here or there to make it perfect, but there's something to be said for a design coming out the way I wanted it to right from the get-go!

Last year my brother and I took a road trip and documented it on a private blog to share with our parents. Naturally I decided it needed a custom header (and background.. and layout..) and I was so happy with how it turned out. Tilting the text and adding a drop shadow was such a simple touch but I love the effect so much.

My header design for Hello Cat Lady was, like The Soubrette Brunette, another one where my first draft & final copy were pretty similar. I still love looking at the evolution from the pencil sketch to the finished digital image.