Saturday, May 21, 2016

"My religion is the cinema. I believe in Charlie Chaplin"



I just finished reading a book of interviews with François Truffaut (this one, and I highly recommend it if you're even remotely interested in Truffaut, or just movies in general) and one of my favorite quotes was "My religion is the cinema. I believe in Charlie Chaplin." It resonated with me pretty strongly, and then this week I went to see City Lights, one of Chaplin's last silent films, at Lincoln Center with live accompaniment from the New York Philharmonic. Talk about a religious experience. Whoa.

Anyway, I whipped up this print afterwards. The drawing of Chaplin is actually taken from an older piece that I painted in 2009 or 2010. I love re-purposing some of my older drawings and paintings and giving them a new life. It's like the drawing equivalent of a dance remix... maybe?

The print is available here.