Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Princess and The Pea


It's been almost a year since my last installment in my Flapper Doodle fairy tale series, but I've sketched out my basic ideas for almost all of the remaining illustrations now, and it's just a matter of fleshing them out & tidying them up! The newest drawing in the series is The Princess and the Pea. I've been smitten with this particular tale for a really long time, mostly because I just really love how mattresses look when they're piled way high. I'm equally smitten with those bedding displays at department stores, with the shortened beds that are stacked super tall with layer upon layer of bedding, but a fairy tale is much more fun to draw.

I was originally going to have wallpaper behind the bed with a subtle pea pod design, but I liked this so much that I decided to just draw the wallpaper on tracing paper and layer it on top, rather than commit to drawing on (and possibly ruining) my illustration. It's one of those instances where an idea seems great until I actually execute it. With the wallpaper it was just too busy, and (even though I still think pea pod wallpaper would have been awesome) I'm really glad I didn't mess around with this drawing.

Anyway -- the original is available in my store, here, as well as prints, here.