Sunday, February 28, 2016

The cutie pi dress



I'm super thrilled to announce that as of today, I'm adding "dresses" to the long list of products available in my store. If you've ever seen photos of my closet, it probably won't come as much of a shock that I really love dresses. In particular I have an affinity for a good novelty-print, and enjoy wearing dresses that match a particular holiday, activity, occasion, or event.

For years I've wanted a Pi Day dress that didn't have baked pies on it. That seems to be the only option out there, and while apple pie is one of my favorite foods of all time, I was craving something a little less sweet and a little more mathematical. I feel like I should acknowledge here that, yes, this is definitely a very niche dress to start off with. I know that I'm in the minority when it comes to my obsession with this holiday, and my pi products hardly ever sell. But I wanted to launch my dress collection with a design that was very special to me, not just something that might sell. If that makes sense? I'll definitely be adding designs with broader appeal in the weeks to come, but for my very first dress I wanted it to be something that I've desperately wanted in my closet for a long time and just couldn't find anywhere else. And that was a pi dress.



My dresses are being manufactured in Montreal, Canada. It's an ethically and environmentally friendly company where workers are paid a fair wage, receive paid breaks, and work normal hours. Extra and irregular clothing is donated to local shelters. The fabric itself is manufactured in Montreal using a process that uses a third less energy and water than normal polyester processes usually do.

I am very smitten with how these came out. The colors were printed exactly the way I intended, vibrant but still pastel. The print is crisp and clear, and the fabric is really comfy. It kind of reminds me of a thinner version of neoprene, very sleek and soft, but not shiny.

The dress has some stretch to it, but I'd recommend sizing up if you're between sizes. I got the medium based on my bust/waist measurements, but it's a little snug in the hips so next time I'm going to go with a large. The medium still fits pretty well though, as you can see in the photo above. You can view my size chart below:



I'm so excited to finally be offering dresses! Ideally someday I'd love to design vintage-style garments (like chiffon dresses with knife pleats and bell sleeves, oh my!) but for now this is pretty darn exciting. If you're interested in the cutie pi dress, it's available right here. And I'll have other designs available within the next month or so.

Please note, if you're ordering the cutie pi dress for Pi Day, be sure to order as soon as humanly possible. These are all made to order and have a turnaround time of 1-10 days so the sooner you order, the better your chances of having the dress in time for March 14th!