Monday, September 28, 2015

new self portrait



If you follow me on any social networking sites you might have already noticed that I changed all of my icons a couple weeks ago, so this isn't really new news. But I'm so happy with my new drawing that I wanted to post about it here.

I drew the portrait on the left in 2011, and it's definitely served me well for four years. It was actually one of the first digital drawings I ever did when I was first learning how to use a tablet. I still like it, but I really wanted something that reflected my personality more. The one on the left is cute but it's just almost too cute and demure and perfect. It needed to be a little sloppier. I noticed that I tend to make the same face in a lot of my photos (kind of looking off to the side and smirking) so I incorporated that into my new portrait. I think my personality shows through much more in this one now! I also added a decent amount of fly-aways in my hair and my shirt is a little crooked. It was a challenge to figure out how to draw transparent glasses frames but I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

Aside from wanting the drawing to look more like me, I've also learned so much about digital drawing since 2011 and wanted to update it for that reason as well. I feel like the new one looks a lot more like a drawing and not just a digital rendering... I created the 2011 portrait almost entirely using paths and fills and not with actual pen strokes (the only part that I used my tablet for was the lines in the hair.) Whereas the new one was drawn exactly like I would have done it on paper, only with digital colors instead of ink.

Overall I'm really pleased with how it came out, and hopefully I won't need another new one for another four years :)