Friday, April 15, 2016

Communiversity + a new painting!



Communiversity is this Sunday and I'll have a booth on Nassau Street! If you're in the Princeton area I hope you'll drop by and say hello (although I'm horribly awkward and shy, just a warning) The photo above was taken at Communiversity last year before I chopped off all of my hair and dyed it pink again. It feels like I'm looking at a photo of a totally different person!

Speaking of photos of me -- they've been lacking considerably for the last couple weeks on my style blog, mostly because I've been up to my ears in preparations for this weekend and have rarely been wearing anything other than paint stained pajamas. What I've lacked in style I've made up for in productivity, though. Just yesterday I started and finished seven paintings in the span of 24 hours. (!!!) Six of the seven are new versions of old Puns Intended paintings. I hadn't come up with a brand new one since 2013, but yesterday I finally added a fresh face to my roster of punny paintings:



This falls into the category of "kind of obscure references that will probably never actually sell" but I really love it! It's a scene from Hitchcock's movie Vertigo, but painted in the style of Van Gogh. So, it's Vertigogh. 

Puns Intended used to be my main thing -- from 2005 through 2009 I only did pun paintings. After starting Flapper Doodle in 2009 (and then Sweet and Lovely in 2012) Puns Intended kind of fell by the wayside. As far as my online sales go, it probably makes up like .0001% so I often forget about it or neglect it a bit. But when I do art shows, like Communiversity, I'm reminded of how fun it is to sell funny artwork. I've wanted to do something new since I exhibited last April, and -- I'm obviously someone who works better under pressure -- I finally painted this three days before Communiversity! Phew!

If you won't be in Princeton this weekend and you're that rare soul who enjoys Hitchcock movies, Van Gogh paintings, and bad puns -- prints are also available in my shop right here.