Thursday, April 16, 2015

Layered plastic painting



I wanted to create a painting that would look like a moment trapped in time, or a really fuzzy memory that you can't quite grasp. To capture that feeling, I thought I'd try painting on layers of plastic, and I'm absolutely thrilled with how it came out! I sanded 18 sheets of plastic and then painted the scene little by little until, once combined, they created a faint, dream-like image -- exactly what I had in mind!

The inspiration for this particular piece came from a photograph of my Aunt Annie taken in Hawaii in the 1960's. She passed away a little over a year ago (having just celebrated her 102nd birthday!) She was such a spunky, beautiful lady and I'm sure she will be a source of inspiration in my artwork for the rest of my life.

You can view a little video I put together that shows each layer of the painting below. Also, I'll be bringing the painting with me to Communiversity in Princeton, NJ on April 26th if you want to see it (and me!) in person. I'll post more about Communiversity as it gets closer to the festival.